Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Most Annoying Sayings - at work

A colleague sent this to a couple people today and I thought it was pretty funny. Since starting work in the post grad world, I have learned SO MANY phrases! The amount of metaphors / expressions / play on words, etc, etc, that people in my office use day-to-day is insane.

The colleague who sent it admitted "there goes 50% of my vocabulary." Some of the phrases on the list are kind of random - and some I think are normal / appropriate and not annoying at all. But for the most part, it's pretty funny, because a lot are, well, annoying!

I'm most guilty for "long story short" and "anyways."  However, I can proudly say I've never used "bada-bing!" in a sentence (until now).

A couple I hear almost everyday at work are: "let's circle back "let's hit the ground running" and "let's talk offline." I don't necessarily think they're that annoying - I just think it's funny they're recognized for being annoying, and all of my colleagues use them daily.

Also, if a colleague ever said "balls to the walls" to me, I would jump off my balcony window.

Here's the link and the list! What are you most guilty of?

http://www.prnewsonline.com/free/The-Most-Annoying-Sayings-The-Epic-PR-News-List_17194.html?hq_e=el&hq_m=2552637&hq_l=6&hq_v=d0ec5f6038


  • “It is what it is.”  (It is annoying)
  • “I personally feel.”  (redundant, redundant)
  •  “You need to be more passionate.” (You can’t make people feel passionate)
  • The word “social” as a noun, as in, “Acme does social really well.”  (Being social means having friends, not selling product.)
  • “I’m passionate about _________.”  (Really? Well lucky you. Guess what? I work for a living! )
  • “I’m a ____________ junkie.”  (Since when is addiction a virtue?)
  • “I’m just doing what I’m doing.”  (Redundancy will be the death of me.)
  • “We need to own social media.” (Um, the public owns social media. What you really mean is you need to tie your social media efforts to a bottom line, be it financial, social good or reputation.)
  • Curation
  • News-jacking
  • When young people say “Well in the old days…”   (Really? You’ve been around for 20-something years. The “old days” for you consisted of an era before social networking boomed and boy bands were the hot topic.)
  • Guru
  • “Hit the ground running”
  • “Going forward”  (Meaning “from now on” as if you could also dictate past behavior)
  • “No offense”  (Which means “I am about to offend you.”)
  • “I’m confused”  (Which means “You’re confused and I am going to set you straight.”)
  • Ideation
  • “Circle back”  (Which means to bring your Conestoga wagon back into a circle.)
  • Thought leadership
  • “True that.”  
  • “With all due respect…”  (Hearing that phrase, buckle-up: The words that follow will certainly bear no relation to “respect” or any recognized synonym.)
  • “At any rate:”  (It is so seldom used in connection with a literal rate of any sort.)
  • “Game on.”
  • Winning
  • “To make a long story short” (already makes your story six words longer.)
  • Meh  (Thank you for your in-depth contribution to the conversation that really helps us solve the problem. Now, please, get back to your texting.)
  • “I don’t hate that idea.”  (Otherwise known as “let’s think about that more.”)
  • “We want to be in high-profile media”  (…said everyone on earth that wants to be in any media.)
  • “How should we spin this?”
  • “We need to be strategic.” (“Strategy” and “strategic” are so overused; no one explains what they mean by this, what the plan of action is or the tactics we’ll use to achieve the goal.)
  • “Let’s take a step back.” (It’s an early indicator that you are dealing with a conservative organization where innovation is outside their comfort zone.)
  • “Let’s not re-invent the wheel…”
  • “Value proposition”
  • “Let’s get out in front of it…”
  • “Where the rubber meets the road…”
  • Game time
  • Irregardless
  • Anyways
  • Frankly …
  • Honestly …
  • Don’t take this the wrong way/personally …
  • Incentivize
  • Ideate
  • “Out-of-the-box thinking”
  • “If you will”
  • Arrrrrrggggggg!
  • Open the kimono (creepy)
  • Drink the Kool-Aid
  • Move the needle
  • Let’s talk offline
  • Boil the ocean
  • Awesome
  • Ramp up. Tee up. Synch up. (Throw up.)
  • Push back
  • Thought starter
  • Scalable
  • Factoids
  • Synergy
  • Run it up the flagpole and see how it flies.
  • Skin in the game
  • Ping
  • Bandwidth
  • Hard stop
  • “Let’s flesh/flush this out.” I’ve heard it both ways, and both make me cringe.
  • “Perfect!” (Used in response to a question answered, such as “Would you like to see the wine list?”)
  • “We have a horse in this race.” (Less painful than one’s own skin the game, but same principle.)
  • “Under the radar” (I understand the need for stealth at times, but it can cause mid-air collision?)
  • “We will be ramping up soon, so be ready!”
  • Kill two birds with one stone (poor birds)
  • Self-starter
  • 24/7
  • Bada-bing!
  • Leverage
  • Give 110%  (What is wrong with your math?)
  • Win-win
  • Net-net
  • My bad
  • “In the weeds.”  
  • “Put on your big girl panties.”
  • I also think way too many trains have left the station and never mind how many people have been thrown under the bus.
  • Utilizing
  • “Transparency”  (Those who use this term are anything but transparent.)
  • “Balls to the walls.” (What does this really mean? Maybe I don’t want to know.*)

No comments:

Post a Comment