Monday, October 1, 2012

Cake Balls

Ok, I know I'm late in the game, but my new fav thing to make / bake / eat are cake balls! For some reason, they seem so much cooler and shall I dare say... sophisticated than regular ole cup cakes. Not to mention yellow cake mix + frosting + chocolate? The answer to that is always YES.

My roommate in college made them all the time, and I don't know why I never got the itch to do so as well, because every time I ate them I heard angels sing.

Anyway - I was at the grand opening of Walmart with my parents in our town (fun times) and when we strolled through the baking aisle something came to me and I just knew it had to happen. I need to make cake balls. 

Thanks to the lovely internet, I read a couple things and realized how to make them. It's definitely not hard, but it is time consuming since you have to bake the cake, wait for it to cool, crumble the cake, add the icing, form into "balls", coooool even longer, and then melt chocolate and dip them, and finally add sprinkles. After I put the cake into balls I usually leave them in the fridge over night and do the chocolate the next day (and then cool again!)

The best thing is, they have an awesome shelf life, since the chocolate hardens and protects the (delicious) cake within. Especially if you keep them in the fridge or freezer. I made them this weekend because two of my BFFs came to visit me, and I made enough to bring to work today. Now I have lots of leftovers so I'm freezing them and bringing them to my brother in college this weekend when we go for parent's weekend. I figured if you need to get rid of sweets (or any food...), there is no better place than a dorm.

Here's a work in progress of my lovely cake balls. (I've made them twice in the past couple of weeks! This is the second one).

Also: I should never be allowed to bake in an empty house again. The amount of raw cake batter I consumed with no one to stop me might have been illegal.


Let's play how much cake batter did I consume? ~2 cups


My poor naked cake balls before cho-co-latte


Half of the batch (and my personal fave) white chocolate and rainbow sprinkles. Next up = milk chocolate and "pearl" sprinkles


Finished Product :)




No comments:

Post a Comment