Sunday, October 21, 2012

Living At Home

Last night I went to a "housewarming" pre-game at a friend's new apartment in Adam's Morgan in DC, and it really got me thinking about my current living situation.

Their apartment was so cute and BIG! It was really open and had high ceilings, and the rooms were all big - one even had a chandelier! And price-wise it wasn't ridiculous at all. They are on a cute/nice street and are down the street from DuPont Circle, a super fun area (cue: awesome bars) and the metro. They're also not far from Georgetown.

It's three girls living there that went to college together and it just reminded me A. how much fun it is to live with your friends B. how much fun it is to live in a city and C. how nice it is to live close to the night-scene.

Living with my parents has been great, and I know some parents aren't as welcoming as they have been about me coming back to the nest, and I really appreciate it.  But at the same time, it really is a huge transition from living with your besties for 4 years!

I miss couch sessions, morning-after-going-out conversations and being equals in the land of Struggle City, the feeling of Friday's when everyone's done with class (in this case- now work) and the excitement of getting ready to go out, or on the other hand, just having a movie night. I miss sharing closets and grabbing food you know you shouldn't be getting (I never get Chipotle any more because it's not the same getting it alone!) Not to mention, I just miss the independence of having your own place! 

So that's the friend segment, on the other hand, I just miss living in a place that is actually close to friends, and civilization. Of course in college you're 5 minutes from all of your friends and I know life will never be like again, but I live 45 minutes from Tyson's Corner, where I work, and an hour from DC.

I loveeee my house and my neighborhood, but it's a serious hike if I want to hang out with my Northern Va friends, where most of them are, or if I want to go out (both of which I do every weekend). So even on the weekends when I don't need to commute to work, I still have to drive almost an hour to do anything. It would be so0o great to actually BE in DC, where I work, where all of my friends are, and where there are countless things to do! 

And here's the reason the simple solution "move there" can't solve my relentless complaints: $$$$$$$$$$$$$

DC is so friggin expensive. Not as bad as NYC but pretty darn close. And I didn't realize how expensive life was until graduating.

I truly am saving so much money by being at home (except the fact my parent's are going to start charging me rent >:/). Groceries alone is a huge savings. I come home from work to home-cooked meals almost every weekday, and have delicious leftovers for lunch everyday. Not to mention my mom always has our pantry / fridge stocked with delicious / healthy food. I can't even remember the last time I had to go to Giant or buy any food -- and that adds up so fast! I also save a lot by having such good lunches to bring to work so I'm not tempted to buy lunch.

I could go on and on with a list of bills I don't have to pay living at home, not to mention all the things my mom does for me! And being able to do laundry / have coffee in a thermos ready to go for me every morning/ free gym / beautiful walking and jobbing trails, that list really goes on and on. 

My plan is to try to live at home until next summer, one year, and with (a very small amount) of money saved up, I'll finally move to an apartment with friends! Right now the best thing to do is to be positive and thankful for what I have, and just plan my weekends around fun things, wherever they happen to be. 45 minutes / an hour really isn't that bad... especially when you get home to made-from-scratch lasagna by your mom :) (I may or may not be attempting to convince myself here)

Here's some pictures from last night:



My college roomie <3



Pups on the way to the bar!!


friends at Brass Monkey


far left is the new owner of the fab apartment


3 am... no one answered the door to the apartment - we were sad girlz and had to improvise a sleeping location!!! #twentysomethingprobs

No comments:

Post a Comment