Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Why is LinkedIn so darn expensive?

Have you ever looked at LinkedIn's prices? For anything? It is absurd! Yes, the profile is free, but to post a job for 30 days costs... ready... $295. And to post jobs on a careers tab for a company page? Fagettaboutit! A silver package is $10,000 a year and a Gold package is $30,000 a year. Here's an example of a Accenture's career page with job postings. Now you know what a pretty penny they paid to have that there. Even just upgrading your LinkedIn profile to $25 a month only enables you to send 3 Inmails. That's right, THREE. Those better be some darn productive InMails.

I never realized how expensive LinkedIn was until today. I created one last summer and have steadily added "connections" but didn't use it too heavily in the job search process. I never looked into anything beyond the regular profile, not that I could have afforded it if I did! I guess I'm just shocked after using sites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, where I am able to do pretty much everything that I want without having to "upgrade" or spend a penny.

Well, just wanted to share the fun fact I learned today. LinkedIn = $$$

5 comments:

  1. I agree. It is INSANE the price for the features you get. I have been tempted several times, but in the end I always feel the price is not right.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, it's tempting! But as of right now, I'm not giving in. :)

      Delete
  2. I had a job-seek premium account for six months when I was looking for a job couple yrs ago. I asked for introductions several times with connections in my selective network of 30 people. It did not help me at all however.

    Now I'm looking for work again and I've been spending an average of 10 hrs/week looking for a job for about a year now. Still I don't think it's worth it. Maybe it's also I can't afford it.

    I wonder how Linkedin decides the price for job-seeker premium account if they somehow know (and I suspect) most are jobless (not job-changers) candidates that are looking and less likely able to afford to pay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a good point! You'd think a network designed to help people get jobs would make their features more affordable to that demographic... who aren't exactly swimming in money!

      I will say that our (small) company did end up posting a job with a coupon we got in an e-mail, and we received 70 applications for the position right off the bat, and the person we ended up hiring did find out posting through LinkedIn. So, on the business side of things, I can see how the expensive price isn't as big of a deal. But for job-seekers, or people just interested in networking, I still think it's ridiculous!

      Delete
  3. Hey There, The case with LinkedIN is they amassed a wealth of people who wanted something for free, then once they got this information they charged everyone to see it. Its not new. It may take a little longer to track people down, but I will never pay some faceless company 800 bucks a year to try to work with other companies, who will never pay me anything anyway. LinkedIN is not a smart bet at all. Just my two cents!

    ReplyDelete