Sunday, September 9, 2012

Virginia Beach Rock N Roll Half Marathon

Last weekend I did something I never thought I would do. I ran a half marathon! I was super suppper nervous, but it ended up being awesome! It was so much fun, such a great post-race feeling (runners high anyone??), and a great memory I'll have forever!

Before my senior year of college, I had never run more than 4 miles consecutively. And when I heard people talk about wanting to run a marathon at some point in their life, etc, I practically rolled my eyes. It was never something that interested me. Then, senior year in college, I started running at a nearby park more often - after discovering it was a lot more peaceful than our super crowded college gym. I realized that A. running isn't as hard as I remember B. Runners high > post elliptical or gym class workouts and C. Adding on mileage (gradually) really isn't that difficult. My roommate convinced me to sign up for the Virginia Beach Rock N Roll Half Marathon which she had done 2 times already.

I "trained" all summer. I put trained in quotes because I trained in my own sort of way, I didn't follow a training guide or anything. I basically made sure I ran at least 4 times every week and that one run was a "long run." Aka one run each week had to be longer than any past ones. I tried to run 4 - 5 miles each time I ran, and then I ran 6 and 7 a couple times, and finally 8. I never ran more than 8 - which made me super nervous the day of the half. But where I live is pretty hilly, and va beach is flatter than flat, so I was good to go.

The run was a breeze until mile 10. Adrenaline, people cheering along all the sides, and the flat terrain made for a great run....and then... I got the worst side stitch EVER in my right side. I was determined to finish without stopping to walk so I kept running in a really weird position that made it somehow feel better. Then, a lady I didn't know, tapped me on the shoulder and said she had been following me for the past strip (3-4 miles) and that I was doing great. I told her I had a side stitch and she said to run through it. I saw mile 11 ahead, and slowed down to drink water instead of running through it like all the others. The side stitch went away and I ran faster to catch up with the lady and we finished together. The last three miles were definitely rough, but it was overall just an awesome experience.

I definitely have the "itch" to run more races. I might even run one next month, I figured I am all trained-up so I might as well do another soon rather than starting from square 1 again! Here are some pics from the day:


Before the race = before sunrise



Before the race - Gold medalist from the Olympics who is from VA was there =)





More than 10,000 ran the race

After we finished!!!

Race Medal! :)

The lady who kept me going through my side stitch!

The last mile, running on the beach with the finish line in sight, was a little rough. 

 Looking a little rough after the race :P



No comments:

Post a Comment