Monday, August 20, 2012

Officially Employed!

I can finally say the words every post college grad hopes to say.... I am EMPLOYED! It is such a great feeling! I am the communications coordinator for a trade association near DC. It is definitely not the route I was expecting to take after college, but I truly think everything happens for a reason and it seems like a great fit!

Originally, it looked like I was going to work in the marketing department for Strayer University, where my dad currently works in Operations. They needed helping hands and my dad mentioned I recently graduated with a degree in that field. From there, I had a couple interviews that went great. Everything looked like it was going well, I was just waiting for HR and then *boom* I got an e-mail that Corporate was on a hiring freeze, thanks to the economy. And they wouldn't hire anyone for that position until the new year at the earliest. I was really disappointed at first, but now I realize it was all meant to be.

I went on a trip to visit friends in NY and came home and job hunted like never before. (I never want to write a cover letter again). I was getting super antsy being unemployed since the beginning of summer. I mean, you can only wake up at 11am (ok maybe noon) for so many days in a row before it gets old. ;)  So, I was really motivated. From the beginning of my (new round of) job searching to the day I was offered the position was about 2 and a half weeks. It happened so quickly, and I'm so excited!

The current girl in the position is moving to Florida with her fiancé, so that's why the job opened up. I'm shadowing her for a week and a half and then I'm on my own.

I'm officially a member of the real world!

No comments:

Post a Comment