Sunday, April 21, 2013

Cherry Blossoms

I live about 30 miles west of Washington, DC and work less than 4 miles from the actual district line. (yea... that's a fun commute). With that said, I rarely go in to our nation's capital. I can count on one hand how many times I've been in DC (not counting for work) in the last 6 months, and most of those occasions involve alcohol - DC has some great night life.

I started thinking about this the other day and realized I really need to take better advantage of being so close to such a dynamic, historical and significant city, district, 51st state, or whatever you want to call it. I mean our nation is literally run here! From the White House, Congress, and Supreme Court to agencies like the USDA, EPA, CIA, Department of Transportation, etc, decisions that affect every single American are all made here. (Ok and maybe the show Scandal has gotten me more interested).

One of my best friends, Kelly, lives in New York City and has a bucket list dedicated to places she wants to see and things she wants to do in NYC. I want to do something similar with DC. It's a little more difficult since I don't live in the city, but I have friends all around the city - in Arlington, Alexandria, Vienna, etc and I'm going to really start encouraging us to go into the city. First thing on my list will be the DC zoo!

It was one of our friend's birthdays this past weekend, so we did venture in to the city see the Cherry Blossoms, along with 100,000 (probably more) other people. It was a little hard to maneuver so we didn't do too much exploring but it was still a lot of fun! We saw the blossoms, the Washington Monument, the White House, and saw some of the Cherry Blossom festivities. We also stopped on the street to watch break-dancers who had quite the personalities. We then met my friend's sister for a drink in a hotel with 3 different bars... I guess Congressmen and lobbyists need a constant supply. ;)

I'm excited to do some research and create my DC bucket list! I'll keep you all updated. I don't plan to live in DC on the long-term so I need to get hoppin'!






 Birthday festivities in Alrington

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout out Lyns ; )
    These pics are so cute, wish I could've been there.. currently coordinating which weekend would be best for me to take a trip down! A little piece of advice for your bucket list... subscribe to Daily Candy and Urban Daddy; I think they both have DC versions!

    ReplyDelete