Saturday, March 23, 2013

Short Hair Do Care

The line "long hair don't care" became infamous last year after the song No Hands came out. It was my friends fav drunk statement and our go-to Insta caption.

This is the story about my friend and I who, with much sadness, are no longer qualified to slur that statement on a dance floor or caption it on a FB post.

I've had long hair my entire life. The shortest it's been was been I was birthed and I grew it out ever since.

Now that I'm a post-grad working lady, I knew my hair was getting a little long. I went to my hair dresser with a couple pics and asked for about 4-5 inches off - a big change from my usual "just a trim please."

Instead, he cut 11 inches off. ELEVEN.

Here's my hair before:



The picture I showed my hair-dresser:
How I left the salon (an hour later):

















THAT IS NOT THE PICTURE OR 4-5 INCHES.

My friend Hannah had long hair her entire life as well, but a year ago got it cut to her shoulders and it looked fab so she's kept it that length for a while.

She went to her hair-dresser and showed some pictures as well and wanted a couple inches off, and instead got a BOB. The lady kept the two pieces in the front longer, but legitimately gave her a bob in the back with some layers two inches long at the top of her head.

Her hair before:


















The picture she showed her hair-dresser:

















How she left the salon (a day later):
















Obviously you can't see in this picture, but the back is a bob - the only long pieces are in the angled ones in the front. Let's just say she sobbed AT the salon.

Moral of the Story: There is nothing more traumizing than going to a hair-dresser with an idea, picture, and thought in your head of what you want, and leaving with something completely different.

I liked the change for about 3 days, and then decided I'd grow my hair out for the next five years. My friend Hannah looks great with shorter hair, so she's waiting until all the layers grow out to her shoulders again.

Many tears were shed and we were reminded how much power hair-dressers have. It sounds so silly to get this upset over hair, but whether people admit it or not, it is a BIG part of who you are and effects how you feel about yourself.

We're semi-over it now, but will definitely be more cautious and assertive with our hair-dressers.

Ayear ago when when we were Long Hair Don't Care betches:

















Trying to own our new haircuts:






No comments:

Post a Comment