Wednesday, June 26, 2013

A postgrad summer

Despite icicles possibly hanging from my office air vents, and the fact I'm only one shade tanner than I was in, say, December, and the small notion that I haven't seen a beach in over a year, it is apparently summer. If you're in the postgrad world like myself, this word has no meaning. It died the day you graduated from college and it might not ever be resurrected. #GlassHalfFull

Even though I worked full-time every summer between college, it still felt like I was living the care-free sun-kissed lifestyle filled with friends, drinking, and vacations. As a cashier sales associate I was off by 4 and still went out all the time. As an intern, I was also home by dinner time, or at happy hour with co-workers slurping mojitos like it was my job. Not to mention, I went on multiple 3-5 day mini vacations all the time.

But now, I legitimately only know if it's a nice balmy day versus a dessert heat-stroke worthy nightmare based on other people's statuses and posts. (thanks guys).

The only difference summer makes on my morning is that I don't start my car early to warm it up. The only difference it makes after work is creating a temperature similar to that of the surface of the sun at my gym. During the day, I wear a cardigan constantly because my office believes in keeping you miserable alert.

Now on to vacation days... I get one day a month, and I'm saving 5 for a December vaca. Yep! You did the math right, that means I can't even consider taking a day off for 5 months... not to mention that fact I've used a couple spare ones for three-day weekends, and need to keep a couple silver bullets for hangovers things that come up that I haven't thought of.

There actually is one silver lining, though. Traffic is much much much better now that schools are out for summer. We're talking 20-30 minutes better, which is huge. And for that alone, I'm semi-possibly-maybe-kinda OK with this new version summer. (See! I can have a good attitude!)

The other good thang is that I'm still making more money than I ever have in my lyfe (don't be fooled by that statement though #StillBroke).

My other postgrad non-summer-getting professional friend and I figured we should buy some "summer" clothes to fit in with the rest of the crowd.

Some pics from our extravaganza:

We were being silly and were asked if we were sisters twice!

the casual look

the summer business-dress look!

obsessed

we had a slight disagreement about the color... #purple or #blue?

such a cute V cut in the front

my favorite! can't go wrong with a color block

new wedges - have been wanting clogs for a while!

can't stay away from colored or skinny jeans...

who wears short shorts? 

flowy dress for work (longer than it looks in the pic)

peplum 'till death

No comments:

Post a Comment