Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Preakness Stakes

What do you get when you add a music festival + day drinking + horses + Baltimore + total and complete debauchery? The Preakness Stakes, my friend.

I've now been to Preakness 3 times, and it has never disappointed. In fact, after every time I go, I think to myself, I'm doing this every year for the rest of my life. *High standards.* I've been to Mardi Gras in New Orleans, and this event is honestly second on the list for complete and utter craziness.

The Preakness is a big horse race in Baltimore which is one of three races in the Triple Crown. (The Kentucky Derby, The Preakness Stakes, and The Belmont Stakes). If the same horse wins all 3, it wins the triple crown, which hasn't happened in more than 30 years.

The secret to Preakness is being in the InField. Which is, obvy, the huge field inside the race tracks. The classy people are in the stands and in boxes. But the InField resembles a large frat/college/springbreak party. Years ago it was BYOB, but things literally got too out of control. So now, you can buy a wristband to get alcohol all day or buy it there - only 2 dollars a beer!

Since the event managers knew people would freak out with it not being BYOB anymore, they began to add music venues to keep people coming. So starting at 10 am and all throughout the day, bands play on different stands.

This year Florida Georgia Line, Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, and Pitbull were the big ones. Last year it was Zac Brown Band, Maroon Five, and Wiz Kalifa. Not too shabby... And from *what I remember* they were all amazing.

At Preakness you see people literally passed out all over the grass, and it's so accepted, no one even notices - you just step over them. The other thing I love is seeing random people you know, because everyone who lives in MD, VA, or DC goes. Everyone knows drunk run-ins are the best thing ever. I wish I had more stories from this year's Preakness, but I blacked out I can't think of them right now.

Here are pictures from the last three I've attended:

2010:















2012:















2013:




Preakness in a Nut Shell:


No comments:

Post a Comment